Monday, September 12, 2005

First Presentation in the corporate world

It is quite an expected statement which people make, after doing something successfully for which, they might have been a little nervouse to begin with.

They say... "It wasn't a big deal" or "It was actually a piece of cake".

Do I need to say more?

To be honest I was relieved more than anything. Something which was off my shoulders and the relief was also to suggest that it did not go bad at all. The IT Business school from where I did my masters had helped me a lot in letting me face the audience with the confidence that I do now. After giving some n no. of presentations at the school (which carried a significant weightage in our assignments) this wasn't something which would give me a jittery voice or a not so confident look on my face.

Ok, coming back to where I work @ "International Business Machines Global Services India", I thought giving a presentation would be a heavyweight task, but it turned out to be a storm in the tea cup.

My boss was the last one to leave the room, and said something which would not make me feel on top of the world, but just to let me know that I did well. I had few of my team mates come up to my desk and congratulate me on quite an informative/useful presentation, they thanked me for the time and effort I had put in.

Three possibilities : -
1) The audience has been void of some basic, clear and informative presentations for some time now!
2) The audience underestimated me.
3) I am actually quite good at presenting.

I go with the first one.

One thing that hit me after all of this was over : - For us (Indians) personal praise or appreciation means much more than the material benefits which follow after the success. It could apply to everybody in general, but to us, it surely does.

1 comment:

Parin Mehta said...

a mile ahead, a journey left


ALL THE BEST !!!!!!!