Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Unaccustomed Driving

This ain't about the smooth drives at 90mph on the freeways of the US. It's not about the Buick Le Sabre that I drove. Neither about the so easy to follow driving-rules/directions. Also not about the religiously followed lane driving (which apparently if followed in India, might cause an accident).

This actually, is about something which was quite strange for the natives and a pretty normal thing for me to do when I am driving back in India. Infact some people might have been amused or prolly could have enjoyed the moment.

I stop at a red light confused whether to go straight, take a left/right. Pretty obvious for me to just pull down the glass and glance across inside the car halted next to mine. The person gives me this strange look but then in a flash gets back to what he/she was doing i.e. listening to the music or simply wait for the light to turn green. Next second, that person sees from the corner of his eye "me waving desperately..", becomes pretty obvious by now that I need help.

Next thing I do is quite casually enquire about the exit (or the way) to take for some xyz road.

I used to find it quite amusing when my team lead in the US (an Indian) would go out of his way to even sometimes draw the maps on a bloody tissue paper or on the white board in the conference room, but would make sure to always give us the correct directions in writing.

It did not take me long to realize that any person, new to the place and driving, would just need a detailed map of the city to reach to the destination. Of course why shouldn't they, when there no paan walas, auto drivers or x y z to be seen hanging around at every corner of the street.
There are just roads and zooming cars.

Yes, the MAPS are something absolutely invaluable for anyone driving in the US.

I still remember the looks I used to get at those red lights. I guess after a while I actually started enjoying irritating those firangs :).

2 comments:

Parin Mehta said...

You should put up pics of u driving it , rather then a link pointing to a website

Any ways what happen to Cammy ????

Parin Mehta said...

PROLLY Dude????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

lol lol